Friday 16 March 2012

I have been slack recently but will try and make up for it with new posts! This exhibition has finished but I couldn't help but include it.

Lygia Pape (1927-2004) was a leading Brazilian artist whose work brought together formal rigour and daring experimentation. In her own words, she explained her approach: 'My concern is always invention. I always want to invent a new language that's different for me and for others, too... I want to discover new things. Because, to me, art is a way of knowing the world... to see how the world is... of getting to know the world'.

Pape was a founding member of the Neo-Concrete movement, which was dedicated to the inclusion of art into everyday life.The work is concerned with exploring and developing new possibilities, and there is a distinct feeling of playfulness and at times lightness of touch but underneath lie weightier issues




No comments:

Post a Comment